Traditions demonstrate Sweet Briar is here to stay

Board chair Teresa Tomlinson ’87 places a rose at the memorial where a new inscription was revealed during the 2015 Founders’ Day ceremony. Photo by Ray Barbour.

Founders Day weekend – what a glorious commemoration! Friday had events small and large that demonstrated Sweet Briar is here to stay, and a dance on Saturday night that was a joyous celebration! While I was disappointed that I could not be there for all of Friday, I was able to watch video of the proceedings I missed (see convocation and President Stone’s investiture here). The whole weekend was uplifting, with feelings of renewal supported by messages of positive motivation with a focus on what’s important for Sweet Briar to flourish.

During my visit, I met more alumnae, and marveled at their warmth and openness toward me. It reminded me of being around my own Theta sisters. When people are comfortable with who they are, they are much more likely to be warm and open and welcoming to others. I was reminded of yet another attribute that Sweet Briar fosters in her women.

There was a superb band, and as the evening wore on, the dance floor was filled with women and men, young and old, having a fun time together. I felt so blessed to be a part of the occasion; it made my heart swell with joy when I looked around and saw Sweet Briar women of all ages enjoying a memorable evening together.

Several people told my husband and me how thrilled they were to see a Founders’ Day dance that was a celebration of generations of Sweet Briar family and friends — attended by students, alumnae, parents, faculty and staff. I could hear the joy in their voices at seeing the resurgence of another wonderful Sweet Briar tradition.

As I talked to various board members, I heard that plans are in the works to reinstate Parents Weekend. Of course, parents are welcome to visit any time. But let’s face it, our daughters don’t want us to just show up on some random weekend to tag after them, with us hoping they will share some meals and some time with us, and wondering what else to do with our time. Parents Weekend is another example of the current administration doing things to show that they expect Sweet Briar to be here to stay.

Traditions are an important part of the Sweet Briar culture, and our president and board get that. Hallelujah!

Switching gears, have you seen Joan Dabney Clickner’s video? It showcases the beauty and diversity of the Sweet Briar campus and student body. Please share it with anyone you know, on social media, etc., and encourage high school students to view it. Just plant the seed in their minds.

In addition to the alumnae, we are the best recruitment for new students — those of us who know the true Sweet Briar story, and have demonstrated our confidence that Sweet Briar is here to stay. Sweet Briar has a focused push to significantly increase enrollment so we can have a balanced budget. Who better to help than those of us who are already part of the Sweet Briar community?!

Alumnae representatives are spreading the word at college fairs, high schools and community colleges. We could really use your help, too! Go to YOUR local high schools and community colleges, and talk to the college counselors. Explain the real story about Sweet Briar, and the amazing women it produced who saved their college in three short months. Talk about why your daughter is going to Sweet Briar. Just talk to your high school counselors — they know their students, and know those for whom Sweet Briar might be a good fit.

Similarly, if there is a community college near you, you can do the same. If you feel you need some talking points or training, feel free to call the admissions office at (434) 381-6142 and ask for Marcia Thom-Kaley. Or maybe that will be my next blog; or it may be too long for a blog, but I’ll see. 🙂

I’ll close today with one more tradition — Step Singing, which was held Monday, Sept 28. Step Singing occurs each fall and spring. The classes gather together, and each class sings a teasing or admiring song for each of the other classes and one bragging song of themselves. My daughter was so happy when she came back from Step Singing, she said, and I quote, “I love my school!” I was so happy that this tradition is alive and well and bringing joy and closeness to the next generation of Sweet Briar sisters.

That’s all for today. 🙂 What topics would YOU like me to address? Send them to me at SBCParentToParent@gmail.com, and I’ll address them in upcoming posts, or sooner if needed. Until then, talk to you soon!